What is Dumpy Level in Surveying
Surveying plays an important role in civil engineering. Surveying is very much dependent on leveling. The dumpy level stands for a leveling instrument that is frequently used in surveying. In this civil engineering article, you will get details about dumpy level survey.
Definition of Dumpy Level
The dumpy level belongs to an optical surveying leveling instrument that comprises of a telescope tube tightly attached in two collars and it is secured by adjusting screws to the stage with the help of vertical spindle.
The telescope of dumpy level will be revolved only in a horizontal plane. Dumpy level allows to find out the relative elevation of several points concerning a surveying land.
A dumpy level is also known as a builder's level, an automatic level.
Application of Dumpy Levels in Surveying
The dumpy level fulfills the following objectives in surveying :
- Find out relative height and distance between various locations of a surveying land.
- Find out relative distance between several locations of a surveying land.
Benefits of Dumpy Level Survey
The dumpy level provides the following benefits to the surveying.
- Easy construction with less variable parts.
- Less alterations is required.
- Because of the inflexibility of dumpy levels, it maintains its two adjustment for a prolonged period.
- High optical power.
Perfect method for applying a Dumpy Level for Surveying
The following instruments are necessary for dumpy level survey.
- Dumpy Level
- E meter staff or English staffs
ALSO READ :
Besides, an assistant should be appointed for a dumpy level survey. As soon as everything is prepared, the following points should be taken into consideration for implementing dumpy level survey properly.
- Initially, the tripod should be configured correctly to retain the dumpy level. The tripod height should be altered unless it attains the eye level. Then, the legs of the tripod should be shifted to a balanced position to retain the instrument correctly. Lastly, tripod legs should be secured by pressing them to the ground.
- The dumpy level instrument should be placed on the top of the tripod. To screw the device firmly on the tripod with foot screw. Since the level head is very sensitive, special attention should be given in this step.
- To work appropriately, ensure to make the dumpy level entirely horizontal. The dumpy level is positioned to a leveled condition with foot-screws (leveling screws). Leveling screws are altered unless the alignment bubble remains in the center of the marker.
- The operator should glance through the eyepiece of the telescope.
- An assistant grasps an E meter or staff vertical at the point under measurement. Generally, this staff has both imperial and metric measurements. The 'E' on the staff is similar to five centimeters.
- The elevations (levels) of several points are collected with the instrument and staff.
- Measurement normally commences from a benchmark with the recognized height obtained by a previous survey, or an random point with an assumed height.