Details of specific gravity of soil
The specific gravity test of soil particles (Gs) means the proportion of the mass of providing the volume of soil particles to the mass of an identical volume of water at 4. The specific gravity of a solid for mainly natural soils appears in general range of 2.60 to 2.80. To find out the specific gravity of soil sample, 25 grams of over dried soil sample is comprehensively crushed and is arranged in a calibrated psychomotor. The mixture is then heated completely so as to get rid of all the air bubbles. More water is then supplied to the mixture for over-night, the temperature is then noted and the bottle is measured.
The specific gravity is demonstrated with the following equation
- Here, Gt denotes specific gravity of water at TOC
- Ws denotes the weight of over dry soil (25 gms.)
- W1 denotes weight of flask along with soil and water
- W2 denotes weight of flask and water
- Trace fine sand: 1 to 10% fine stand.
- Little silt: 11 to 20% silt.
- Some clay : 20 to 35% clay.
- Sandy silt : 35 to 50% sand & 50 to 70% silt.
- Clayey silt : 35 to 50% sand & 50 to 70% silt.
- Silty sand: 35 to 50% silt & 50 to 70 sand.
Description of soil composition:
To define the soil composition, the terms given below are applied in the report :-