What are Refractory Brick and Their Applications?
Refractory brick is a specific type of ceramic material, which is usually used in high-temperature environments, due to its inflammability feature. In addition to that, it is also a decent insulator, which mitigates the loss of energy.
Refractory fire bricks are also the same.
Do you know the different types of refractory bricks? Here, in this article, we will talk about that. As now you get a basic understanding of refractory bricks, it will be easier for you to know details on the different types.
Types Of Refractory Bricks
Here we will discuss the different types of refractory fire bricks. Mainly there are three types of refractory use, as per the refractory bricks composition, and they are also for different refractory bricks uses.
1. Ordinary Fire Bricks
- It is made of natural fire clay, along with a mixture of sand and crushed clay.
- It can resist upto 1600.
- To furnaces, it is used as a great quality acid refractory lining.
- The aluminum contents are 20-40%; the silica contents are 50-75%, along with fluxing matter, which is less than 10%.
2. Silica Bricks
- It has 19% of silica.
- The resistance power is up to 2000.
- It is manufactured from quartzite or sandstone, along with the addition of 2-3% lime in order to act as a flux and bind.
- Suitable for several things, like furnaces’ acid lining for glass production, copper melting furnace, basic open-hearth steel furnaces’ walls, and arches.
3. Ganister Bricks
- At a high temperature of upto 2100 degree C, it is very rigid, compact, and hard.
- Made of various types of ganister rock, which contains silica of 85% and clay of 10%, additionally lime of 2%.
ALSO READ :
1. Magnesite Bricks
- Capable of resisting upto 1800 degree C to 2100 degree C.
- Used as the furnaces’ basic lining.
- Manufactured from fire clay, which has magnesium oxide of 85%, iron oxide of 3-5%. Along with aluminum and balanced lime.
2. Dolomite Bricks
- Resistance capacity of upto 1400 degree C to 1600 degree C
- In furnace lining, it is a cheap substitute for magnesia bricks. For improving their strength, serpentine is used.
- Manufactured from fireclay, which has a high percentage of dolomite.
3. Bauxite Bricks
- It is capable of resisting upto 1600 degree C.
- Manufactured from fire clay, which contains 86% Bauxite.
1. Chromite Bricks
- Resistance upto 2000 degree C
- Made from fire clay, which contains iron oxide or Ferrous Oxide of 30%, chrome iron ore of 50%, Bauxite of 20% with a little silica.
- Resistance upto 1900 degree C
- Used in electric furnaces.
- Made from fire clay with a higher percentage of silicon carbide.
- A particular type of natural refractory bricks.
3. Chrome Magnesite Bricks
- From a mixture of magnesite and chrome, they are manufactured.
4. Spinal Bricks
- The mixture of aluminum and magnesia is used in equal proportions for manufacturing it.
5. Forsterite Bricks
- Manufactured from 2 MgO SiO2, or magnesium oxide mineral.
We hope you get the idea of different types of refractory bricks. In case you have any doubt or queries, feel free to reach us. We will try to come up with a reliable solution as much as possible.